I like the messenger style & feel too, but for my daily commutes with extra clothes that weigh on your shoulders and back....this is the setup to make you feel more comfortable. It's built with nice breathable padding on the back and straps for the longer sweat back rides.
Dually noted - The Whitey Von is inner lined with a separate welded-seam replaceable liner and an outer nylon shell that's durable enough to take a bullet. The top roll down system pretty much guarantees all you goodies will be kept dry.
If you're in the market for a durable, waterproof, use it for whatever you want backpack....then consider this one. I would recommend.
- Medium – 1500 Cubic inches / 17″ Tall x 12″ Wide x 8″ deep
- Waterproof 2-layer design: outer tarp material wears like iron; replaceable waterproof liner keeps contents dry in a downpour (will not keep water out if submerged, in case underwater-riding is your hobby).
- Wide padded straps distribute load more evenly than messenger bags
- Sits lower on the back than standard backpacks to reduce blind spots
- Chest strap and removable waist strap for stability
- Large reflective stripes and tab for safety light
- 2 quick-access side pockets
- Shoulder strap mounted cell phone holder