Friday, July 15, 2011

Ovila Dubbel Brew Review

Ovila Abbey Dubbel
from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
(in collaboration with The Abbey of New Clairvaux)
ABV 7.50%

I first picked this bottle up while on a wine tasting weekend in Sonoma, Ca. I'm so happy I did.

Appearance - poured a wonderful copper color with a soft cream colored head that dissipated a little quick and slight lacing.
Smell - great spiced fruit & clove hinted aroma, but not overwhelming.
Taste - Great. Cinnamon & mild malty fruit. I was expecting more hops, but was pleasantly surprised how clean this Dubbel finishes.
Mouthfeel - you get the complex flavors up front and rolls to a little dry. I love the high carbonation in this bottle that leaves your palette refreshed and wanting more.
Overall - this is one of my favorite brews right now and I get excited when I know that I will be popping the cork on this bad boy. I've bought more to share with friends and family. Not sure if this is on tap anywhere, but would love to compare the taste (the Saison/Farmhouse sister brew to this one reviewed is on-tap at Pangaea).

No comments:

Post a Comment