Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Tristan Prettyman cycling

Click here for Bicycling Magazine site

When Tristans not touring the country with artists like G. Love, this 28-year-old singer-songwriter cyclist and surfer who is recently engaged to Jason Mraz, is helping to make San Diego more bicycle-friendly. Check out this awesome video and the Q & A from Bicycle Mag -

http://player.vimeo.com/video/13988951

What got you interested in riding?
It was through a combination of friends. I had been dating a guy from New York City who didn't have a car. Another one of my friends manages cellist Ben Sollee's bike tours along the East Coast. I started thinking, "I gotta get a bike!" I had a beach cruiser that my mom gave me a couple years ago, but it was pretty heavy. So last year I got a road bike from a guy who builds them from parts he gets at auctions. The frame says "Rahmen." I don't know a lot about bikes, or brands, but as soon as I got on this bike, I knew it was the one.

What's your typical ride?
My friends and I usually ride in the street. The downtown San Diego area is becoming more developed, so we're hoping that the larger crowds and heavier traffic will push people to ride more. We try to get out there as often as possible, so the city will realize that when you have more riders, you need more bike lanes.

After touring with G. Love & Special Sauce and the John Butler Trio, you took 2009 off.
It definitely allowed me to ride more. My friends often do a 25-mile loop up the coast to grab a beer, so I started joining them. My boyfriend [singer-songwriter Jason Mraz] lives a 40-minute car ride away, so I'll bike toward his house and he'll pick me up at Jitters, our friend Vallie's coffee shop. She does a mean breakfast.

Any chance you'll convince Jason to get a bike?
Actually, he really wants one. He wants to do a triathlon. The other week, we kept saying we'd go get a bike if the surf was flat. But the waves were really good.

How does catching a wave compare with cycling?
I've been surfing for a long time, so in the water, my brain goes on autopilot. Biking requires way more focus. I'm amazed by all the things I wouldn't have seen if I had been driving.

You went to New Orleans to help out after the BP oil spill. Did the trip inspire you to ride more?
You know, it's really easy to say "no oil," and stuff like that but I met guys who had been working in oil for 20 years; the industry was all they had. It's going to be a challenge for everyone on this planet to not use oil. But riding a bike on errands and on short trips is a step in the right direction.

Anything else we should know about your bike?
When I get on my bike after a couple of days without riding, I can't believe how much I missed it. I want to scream, "I love you, bike! Why don't I sleep next to you?" Biking equals freedom. It makes you realize how little you need to travel.

SMALL TALK
Last Ride
Sixteen miles to the beach, with my friend Tricia, who was staying with me after doing the AIDS ride from San Francisco to LA. When I got home, my tire was flat.

Alternate Fuel
On rides, I'll bring a bottle of half water, half coconut water. I eat a lot of hemp seed, vegetables and salads. But if I'm craving a cheeseburger and beer, I go for it.

Riding Kit
I don't really wear spandex. I just ride in jeans--and roll 'em up--and tennis shoes. I wear my Onitsuka Tigers because they're really light.



http://www.tristanprettyman.com/music

2 comments: